Monday, July 22, 2013

July 19th: Day two Santa Teresa!


Determined to avenge our surfing failure, we got up early for a warmup run on the beach. We picked a route that went both on gravel and beach but neither were any cooler. It was hot. So very hot. And sweaty. Eye of the tiger played in the background as we ran. Serious. It did. :p


We came back and got some more delicious crepes (nutella and banana). Then we packed our giant surfboards in the back of Jimmy and hit the road for Playa Hermosa. 


Jen had to sit in the back through the Costa Rican massage road and hold the surfboards in place. We have built a fascination with trying to sing on the roads in Costa Rica. They make for a very original vibrato!! But all singing aside we got there and ran into our Swiss friends yet again. We decided that they were on the same time schedule as we were. After we set up camp next to our friends we hit the surf. Both of us. Again we were pummeled by waves. Jen would insist that I include that she was most definitely ahead of me on the first trip out. I eventually got tired of trying to get to the tasty looking wave always just out of my reach and rode a little one backwards. Jen did the same on her tummy. So frustrating!! Discouraged, but not nearly as hurt as the day before we sat on the beach tanning for a while. We ended up talking and comparing travel stories with our swiss buddy. Even learned a bit about how the Swiss military system works. Such a cool and nice guy. Then we ventured out for a surf lesson. Jen took her board and I took my vaaaaaast knowledge of surfing........:/ haha I helped her get passed the first wave of angry waves and then basically did nothing else. We talked a little bit about where to be in the wave and when to stand up. At first I pushed her into the wave to build momentum. She popped right up and surfed!!! Then the next few I noticed she needed less and less of me. She is exceptionally strong from swimming so she didnt really need the push. Girl can paddle for days!! By the third one she didnt need me at all and I just stayed out there to watch and “consult”. I watched proudly as she road wave after wave. She couldnt see me but I was jumping up and down in the water every time she stood up. She did so good!! I didnt get to ride much that day but it was such a victory to watch her do it. :) Eventually we rolled back to the beach and hung out smiling. Success!!......For Jen anyway.....:( I ended up a little disappointed with Santa Teresa surfing wise. I talked to a couple surf gurus the last couple days. Both of them said about how I felt trying to get to the bigger waves further out. “I thought I knew how to surf........and then I came here”. That’s EXACTLY how I felt. But. It felt good to hear that from some surf veterans. One even said if I had 2 or 3 years, this place would teach me a lot about surfing. So I am humbled. But there are point breaks (the kind I understand) in Tamarindo. Hopefully I can get in a few good rides there.

We were happy that we finally got some sun!


The beach day came to an end and we went to get some pasta at a place called pasta basta. We split a chicken schnitzel and called it a night. We both noticed that we felt a bit “stingy” (like the bee not the scrooge). Turns out the sun is pretty nasty here even behind a vail of clouds. To sleep. Ready for a looooooooooong drive tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment